The COFORD Council for Forest Research and Development is a representative body from the Forest Sector in Ireland. The Council advises the Department of Agriculture Food and the Marine on research and developmental issues.
The Council 2011-2014 convened groups in the following areas:
Forest Management Planning (pdf 544Kb)
Wood Mobilisation (pdf 3,282Kb)
Forest Research (pdf 3,439Kb)
For the relevant group report please click on the titles above.
Membership of the current Council 2015-2018 and its work groups can be accessed by following the link.
Council 2015-2018 (doc 12Kb)
Forestry 2030 papers
The Council also updated its Forestry 2030 policy papers on Irish Forestry and the Economy, Irish Forests and Climate Change, Irish Forests and Renewable Energy, Irish Forests and Biodiversity, and Irish Forests and Recreation .
Forest Sector Development/COFORD Division of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine provides the secretariat for the Council.
The COFORD research programme is the responsibility of the Research, Food and CODEX Co-ordination Division of the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine.
Publications and reports
Draft Bioenergy Plan Issued by the The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
A recent SEAI Report outlines that greater use of biomass could contribute to achievement of the 2020 renewable heat target results and generate positive macroeconomic impacts and net employment in Ireland.
In terms of biomass in renewable electricity, net employment benefits only arise if solid biomass is sourced in Ireland rather than imported. Potential exists for 1,500 net jobs to be created in 2020, mainly in the agriculture and forestry sectors, through the domestic supply of solid biomass. Conversely, when solid biomass is imported, combined with an assumed increase in electricity prices, there is an estimated net loss of jobs in the economy.
COFORD Connects Notes
- Woodflow and forest-based biomass energy use on the island of Ireland (2014) (pdf 503Kb)
- Woodflow and forest-based biomass energy use on the island of Ireland (2013) (pdf 1,369Kb)
- Woodflow and forest-based biomass energy use on the island of Ireland (2012) (pdf 418Kb)
- Ash content of Irish woodfuel. (pdf 266Kb)
- Drying of firewood. (pdf 212Kb)
- Calorific value of Irish woodfuels. (pdf 259Kb)
- An overview of the 2012 UNECE Timber Committee Meeting. (pdf 309Kb)
- Identifying and characterising hybrid `brown bud' ash in Ireland. (pdf 754Kb)
- An overview of roundwood harvest and forest products markets in the UNECE region in 2013 (pdf 623Kb) This is a preliminary version of a new COFORD Connects note.
A Guide to the Valuation of Commercial Forest Plantations
Authors: Henry Phillips, Daragh Little, Tom McDonald and John Phelan
Forests, products and people
Forests, products and people – Ireland’s forest policy – a renewed vision, and the associated Strategic Environmental Assessment are available by following the links.